Joey McIntyre could tell you hundreds of captivating stories about traveling the world as a member of New Kids On The Block. With over 80 million albums sold, one might find it difficult to speak about anything else. Not McIntyre. I thoroughly enjoyed my chat with this international superstar AND runner, and to be quite honest, it wasnâ€™t because of who he was or what he has done as a musician. After interviewing countless professional runners, it was refreshing to speak with someone who appreciates what the sport can do for him but also what the sport can do for others.
McIntyre appreciates the health benefits of running. â€śIt is great cardio and keeps the weight offâ€ť said McIntyre, but this is such a small portion of why he will toe the line in Hollywood on April 7th. He is running to raise money and awareness for the Alzheimerâ€™s Association.
Here are a few interesting facts from ALZ.org
1) 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimerâ€™s disease.
2) One in eight older Americans has Alzheimerâ€™s disease.
3) Alzheimerâ€™s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
4) More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care valued at $210 billion for persons with Alzheimerâ€™s and other dementias.
5) Payments for care are estimated to be $200 billion in the United States in 2012.
Read full article on Runnersfeed.com.